Countdown to Caucus: Metsger to speak
NCUA Board member Richard Metsger
Sept. 3, 2013 – NCUA’s newest Board member, Richard Metsger, will make one of his first public appearances at NAFCU’s Congressional Caucus - less than a week away.
Metsger was recently sworn into office in a small private ceremony on Capitol Hill, attended by NAFCU President and CEO B. Dan Berger. Metsger, a Democrat, is a former Oregon state senator. He was nominated to the NCUA Board May 16. His nomination was approved by the Senate Banking Committee June 27, and the full Senate confirmed him Aug. 1.
Caucus will take place Sept. 8-11 at Washington’s Mayflower Renaissance Hotel. Metsger joins several other prominent speakers scheduled for the week, including: Sen. Mark Warner, D-Va., Financial Crimes Enforcement Network Deputy Director Frederick Reynolds, NCUA Board Member Michael Fryzel and Fannie Mae President and CEO Timothy Mayopoulos. Paul Begala, noted political analyst and columnist, will give the keynote address.
Also on the speaker slate for next week are:
- Ted Tozer, the president of Ginnie Mae
- Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C.;
- Sen. David Vitter, R-La.;
- Sen. Joe Donnelly, D-Ind.;
- Rep. Ed Perlmutter, D-Colo.;
- Rep. Robert Pittenger, R-N.C.;
- Rep. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va.;
- Rep. Gerry Connolly, D-Va.;
- Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C.;
- Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif.
- Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y.;
- Rep. Brad Sherman, D-Calif.;
- Rep. Ed Royce, R-Calif.;
- Rep. Adrian Smith, R-Neb.;
- Rep. Robert Hurt, R-Va.;
- Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer, R-Mo.; and
- Rep. Patrick Murphy, D-Fla.
Credit union representatives attending this year’s Caucus will attend three days of general sessions on key issues facing the industry – among them the credit union federal income tax exemption, regulatory relief and housing finance reform – and will be discussing their concerns about those issues with lawmakers in their Capitol Hill offices. Members and nonmembers may register.
NAFCU Congressional Caucus