Founded in 1967, the National Association of Federally-Insured Credit Unions (NAFCU) is an independent voice in Washington, focusing exclusively on the needs and issues of credit unions at the federal level. NAFCU's specific, overriding purpose: to strengthen credit unions through unwavering federal advocacy, one-of-a-kind compliance assistance and top-rated education and training.
Browse available positions at NAFCU below. Download our employee benefits information for a look at the wide range of benefits NAFCU offers. Contact email@example.com with any questions about working for NAFCU.
The National Association of Federally-Insured Credit Unions (NAFCU) seeks an Associate Director of Media Relations and Communications to help manage media relationships and to write and edit content across the Association's communications vehicles and publications.
Who we are:
NAFCU is the leading trade association for America’s federally-insured credit unions. Our mission is to strengthen credit unions by providing our members and the credit union industry the absolute best in federal advocacy, education, and compliance assistance. Extreme member service and responsiveness is our hallmark.
Our team members are passionate about growth, innovation, and collaboration. We constantly are striving to improve and better ourselves so that we can better support our members. If you have a growth mindset and enjoy challenging work, you probably are a great fit for our team!
Who you are:
You have great written and oral communication skills and are able to make long lasting connections. You are tuned in to news trends in the financial services and political/legislative arenas, can identify, understand, and process new information quickly, and are able to craft strategic messages. You can perform in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment, are adept at multi-tasking, and have a basic understanding of all mass communication platforms. You are ready to step up and play a pivotal role as a key member of the communications division of a growing national trade.
What you'll do:
The Associate Director of Media Relations and Communications is primarily involved with (1) developing and implementing effective media relations opportunities; (2) drafting and pitching columns, commentaries, opinion pieces, and letters to the editor for publication under the President's or other executives' bylines; (3) writing and editing items for NAFCU publications; and (4) investigating and recommending new ways to package content to NAFCU members and the public.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Journalism, Communications, or English.
- Four to seven years of experience in communications, media relations, or journalism.
- Working knowledge of television, radio, and print journalism and skills in establishing relationships with the media. Experience managing social media is a plus.
- Firm grasp of financial policy issues and knowledge of the congressional and federal regulatory process. Experience working on the Hill, with a financial institution or financial services trade association is highly desirable. Knowledge of credit union issues is a plus.
- High degree of proficiency in writing, composition structure, and grammar; strong editing skills; familiar with AP style; quick, accurate, talented writer able to produce results under a tight deadline.
- Familiar with newsletter production processes.
- Strong team player, able to juggle multiple tasks and changing priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proficient in MS Office, especially Word, Outlook, and Publisher.
To apply, email your resume with (1) a cover letter and (2) salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE