13 things to say to motivate your employees
As leaders, we motivate by showing clear intentions and purpose. When it comes to our employees, motivation begins with what we say.
Marcel Schwantes, principal and founder of Leadership From the Core, lists 13 things leaders say to motivate their employees, and several are worth sharing. They include:
- IÃ¢ÂÂll follow up on that get back to you by Tuesday. The point is to set clear expectations. Good leaders follow through on their promises.
- I have good news and bad news. Good leaders are truth tellers Ã¢ÂÂ whether itÃ¢ÂÂs good or bad news.
- What would you do in my situation? This isnÃ¢ÂÂt a sign of weakness on the leaderÃ¢ÂÂs part. Ã¢ÂÂIt creates a space for authenticity and truth,Ã¢ÂÂ Schwantes writes.
- I want you to know how much I appreciate you. Receiving praise and recognition is the most important performance motivator, Schwantes says.
- I trust your judgement. If your employees know that you trust them, they are more likely to trust you in return.
- You are right. Good leaders are humble.
I encourage you to read Schwantes full post here. Whether you take these 13 things and say them in group meetings, one-on-one conversations or convey them through an email, remember that motivating your employees is easy when they understand the Ã¢ÂÂwhyÃ¢ÂÂ behind what they are doing.
Follow me on Twitter (@BDanBerger).