7 ways to perform with excellence
As leaders, we all want our teams to use their talents well and perform with excellence. That means we need them to take responsibility, and there are steps that we can take to spur them on.
Alan Zimmerman, author, speaker and contributor to Entrepreneur, discusses seven such steps in a recent article. They are:
1. Help people get a vision of excellence. You might need to show your team what excellence means in their specific role.
2. Expect excellence. If youÃ¢ÂÂre overseeing every aspect of your team membersÃ¢ÂÂ work, they may decide you expect them to fail. Set your expectations, then let your employees do the rest.
3. Lead by example. Simply put, Ã¢ÂÂwalk your talk,Ã¢ÂÂ Zimmerman writes.
4. Get a commitment to excellence. Feel free to ask team members what it will take to get them 100 percent committed to their current tasks or projects.
5. Reward responsibility.
6. Use responsibility-encouraging words. Phrase feedback and address mistakes by team members as Ã¢ÂÂimprovement opportunities,Ã¢ÂÂ Zimmerman says.
7. Analyze the process and payoff of taking responsibility. Once the process is understood, excellence can be repeated again and again.
Here at NAFCU, we view performing with excellence as Ã¢ÂÂextreme member service.Ã¢ÂÂ Since our goal is to assist our member credit unions at every turn, we strive to provide them with the best service possible. I can proudly say I work with a team that daily performs with excellence.
Follow me on Twitter (@BDanBerger).