8 things to tell your employees – daily
IÃ¢ÂÂve written many, many times on the importance of communication. However, I never grow tired of learning, or relearning, phrases that spur a positive organizational culture while motivating employees.
For example, Elle Kaplan, CEO of Lexion Capital Management, lists eight things Ã¢ÂÂexceptional bossesÃ¢ÂÂ tell their employees Ã¢ÂÂ regularly Ã¢ÂÂ even daily. She writes that bosses that use these phrases will not only see more employee engagement, but they will see their own success skyrocket.
Her phrases include:
1. Ã¢ÂÂI have total confidence in you.Ã¢ÂÂ In other words, hire the best and let them do their jobs. DonÃ¢ÂÂt micromanage.
2. Ã¢ÂÂThis is what I want us to accomplish.Ã¢ÂÂ Make sure your team knows the big picture and how they fit into it.
3. Ã¢ÂÂWhat can we do better next time?Ã¢ÂÂ Instead of reprimanding someone for a mistake, use it as teaching opportunity.
4. Ã¢ÂÂI want to play to your strengths.Ã¢ÂÂ Everyone has strengths and special skills Ã¢ÂÂ use them.
5. Ã¢ÂÂWhat is your opinion?Ã¢ÂÂ Show your employees that you value them.
6. Ã¢ÂÂHow can I better support you?Ã¢ÂÂ If you are a servant-leader, your employees will return the favor.
7. Ã¢ÂÂLet me know if you have any questions.Ã¢ÂÂ Have an open-door policy.
8. Ã¢ÂÂGood work.Ã¢ÂÂ Letting someone know that you care about their work goes a long way.
Motivating our teams begins with the words we say. While some of these phrases may come naturally, others might take some practice. I encourage the practice, because satisfied and motivated employees will only benefit you and your company.
Follow me on Twitter (@BDanBerger).