2022 Accomplishments for Credit Unions
We believe every single person should be a credit union member, so everything we do is geared toward helping you serve as many members as possible. That’s the NAFCU difference. Here are some highlights of how we’ve worked together with our members to achieve great wins in 2022. It’s all part of helping credit unions grow by providing the industry’s best ACE: Advocacy, Compliance assistance, and Education.
NAFCU’s Trailblazing Legislative And Regulatory Wins For You In DC
- Passage of Credit Union Governance Modernization Act so you can more easily expel members who pose a threat to your employees and credit union.
- New NCUA guidance permitting FICUs to partner with third-party broker-dealers to offer digital asset services.
- Further NCUA guidance authorizing you to implement distributed ledger technologies.
- More opportunities to serve underserved Americans as the NCUA’s final service facilities rule expanded field of membership flexibility for underserved areas, and the House of Representatives introduced and passed legislation to allow all credit unions to add underserved areas.
- Leading the fight against proposed interchange law changes that would enrich big box retailers at your expense.
- Successfully fought efforts to require you to report member account data to the IRS and establish an SBA Direct lending program.
- Introduction and advancement of the Credit Union Board Modernization Act, including advancing out of the House Financial Services Committee.
- Defended credit unions against bankers’ multiple attacks in DC with our award-winning Big Bank Bullies campaign. Also defended you against their attacks on CU/bank mergers.
- 330+ national media stories recognizing credit unions.
Leadership On CDFI Issues
- NAFCU witness testimony before Senate Banking Committee on CDFI/MDI issues.
- Led meeting with Treasury Department’s CDFI fund and NAFCU members to discuss CDFI application process concerns.
- Met with FHFA Director Thompson regarding creation of CDFI pilot programs.
- Achieved increase in capital for CDFIs and MDIs in Freddie Mac equitable housing finance plans.
- Letters from NAFCU President and CEO Dan Berger to the CDFI Fund and NCUA Chairman Harper on CDFI Fund issues impacting credit unions.
Shepherding Credit Unions To Compliance Success
- Answering nearly 6,000 questions from members via our direct compliance assistance program
- Publishing 160+ blog posts, articles, charts, guides and tools, totaling 1,200+ pages (browse the library)
Delivering Training and Networking Opportunities
- Offered 13 virtual and in-person conferences and events
- Our Online Training Center served 2,700+ credit union industry professionals streaming 18,000+ hours of content.
- 1,000+ professionals at 165+ credit unions have watched our refreshed New Staff Online Training, available free for members
- Nearly 3,000 professionals have earned and maintained our industry-leading certifications for compliance, risk, BSA and volunteer experts
- 8 NAFCU Networks. 14,000+ registered users can connect with peers to share ideas and solve challenges with fellow credit union professionals
Championing Industry Innovation
- 35 vetted and trusted Preferred Partners helping credit unions transform and grow
- Connecting 30,000+ of your credit union peers with the latest research, market intel, and best practices
- 150+ complimentary educational videos, webinars, podcasts, blog posts, whitepapers, and more
- The CULab Podcast reaching 10,000 listeners per year