10 qualities of a great boss
Many times, the qualities and leadership abilities of a boss can make a person a loyal employee or can quickly send them running out the door. What are these qualities that cause an employee to not only stick around, but to perform at a high level?
After years of research by Google, the company has identified 10 common behaviors found in high-performing managers. Justin Bariso, founder of Insight, lists these behaviors along with some tips on how to develop them. According to Google research, a great manager:
- Is a good coach.
- Empowers the team and does not micromanage.
- Creates an inclusive team environment that shows concern for success and well-being.
- Is productive and results-oriented.
- Is a good communicator – listens and shares information.
- Supports career development and discusses performance.
- Has a clear vision/strategy for the team.
- Has key technical skills to help advise the team.
- Collaborates across the company.
- Is a strong decision maker.
These qualities aren't necessary innate in all good managers – they need to be practiced and cultivated. But if you can identify leaders within your organization that model these behaviors, your employees and company will greatly benefit.
Follow me on Twitter (@BDanBerger).