How to be a leader your team wants to follow
To get the most out of employees, leaders need to inspire, motivate, and encourage creativity. For most leaders, they have to invest time to develop important characteristics to have their employees follow them. As you undertake steps to improve your leadership skills, keeping your staff motivated and engaged, connecting with them, and ensuring your workplace culture encourages creativity are key. Tanveer Naseer Leadership provides 8 key ways to being a leader your team will follow:
- Open communication. Communication is key to ensuring that your team can be successful. Team members should feel comfortable approaching you to discuss ideas, provide feedback, and feel like they are being heard.
- Encouraging growth, both personally and professionally. This could take the form of training or giving them opportunities to be challenged in the workplace.
- Don’t be afraid to try new things. Providing a space where failure is seen as a way to grow will allow your employees to be more creative and increase productivity.
- Be positive. Ensure that you are providing a work environment in which your employees focused on the positive aspects of the work in order to prevent a hostile environment.
- Setting clear goals and expectations. Having clear lines of communication with your employees so they know your expectations overall and on certain projects will ensure that your employees are helping you achieve your goals and objectives.
- Praise and recognize your employees. Leaders providing recognition and praise to their individual and team accomplishments will go a long way in ensuring your team stays motivated.
- Delegate. Leaders need to be able to identify who on their team, based on their skills, are best to carry out certain tasks.
- Be passionate. Showing enthusiasm to your team will provide motivation o your team to focus on the goals and priorities ahead.