How managers can create a healthy working environment
article by Art Petty helps guide managers as they work to create a healthy working environment to form a high-performing team.
- Create manager role clarity with team members: Ask team members what they need from you, and work to help them in their role.
- Pursue rapid time-to-trust: Give your teammates your trust from the start of your working relationship.
- Define clear rules for success: Engage your team to define what it means to be a part of the group, and put clarity around expectations and desired behaviors.
- Create connectivity to the bigger picture: Provide information that creates a connection between what you and your team members do and the bigger picture.
- Create comfort with feedback in 3 directions: Good working environments occur when quality feedback flowing in every direction, and performance increases when feedback flows horizontally between team members.
While many managers may overlook the importance of building a healthy work environment, it is key to a successful team. The best managers will work tirelessly to create this.
Follow me on Twitter (@BDanBerger)