NAFCU ADA resources: FAQ, webcast, landing page
To aid those credit unions currently facing litigation over unclear website accessibility requirements under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), NAFCU continues to offer many resources, including a new FAQ document on the issue and a webcast offering legal insight into ADA compliance.
On a new landing page, NAFCU also has available best practices from in-house compliance and legal experts, as well as monthly publications to help member credit unions identify the risks involved so they can make informed business decisions.
NAFCU has been fighting alongside credit unions to put an end to meritless lawsuits filed on this issue. The association has also been asking for clear guidance on the issue from federal agencies and standing by those credit unions currently facing litigation. For example:
- NAFCU on Wednesday demanded that the law firm responsible for sending demand letters to credit unions over unclear website accessibility requirements under the ADA retract threats of legal action and cease and desist from making further demands. Read NAFCU's letter here.
- NAFCU has supported four Virginia credit unions' motions to dismiss complaints filed against them in federal district court by submitting briefs as amicus curiae. So far, the judges in two of the four cases have accepted NAFCU's briefs.
- NAFCU stood with one credit union as a court held hearings on the credit union's motion to dismiss the complaint filed against it.
- In November, NAFCU sent a letter to the U.S. Attorney General asking that the Justice Department consider issuing guidance or an interim final rule that would provide clarity in the area of website accessibility under the ADA.
- In December, NAFCU wrote to the National Association of Attorneys General to look into the issue.
- NAFCU supports the ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017 (H.R. 620) and is actively working to expand the bill's protections to cover website-related lawsuits.
- NAFCU sent a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee on the impact of lawsuit abuse on small businesses, requesting that committee leaders take steps to curb the rise in meritless ADA lawsuits.
- NAFCU sent a letter urging the House Judiciary Committee to address the lawsuits impacting credit unions.
Credits: NCRM, NCCO, CPE
Get daily updates.
Subscribe to NAFCU today.